Thursday, March 22, 2012
Tap in to Your Inner Leader
By April Fischer
Do you know a woman who seems to be successful in every endeavor she pursues? She gets every job she applies for or opens an at-home business that thrives. There are certain characteristics women possess that make them stand out from the pack and become leaders, and there are reasons why those women we know are good at what they do. Here are a few of those reasons:
1. She isn’t afraid to speak up for herself. Expressing your opinion in a big boardroom meeting full of men may seem daunting at first, but the leader sees this as an opportunity rather than a threat. She recognizes that no matter her status or gender, her ideas still have value and that as a member of her company, she has a duty to contribute. Breaking the ice at first will be difficult, but after you speak up, you’ll feel so much better.
2. She takes opportunities that get her where she wants to go. This woman has a plan, and she sticks to it. She may already have a stable job, but if another one comes around that will get her closer to her dream, she isn’t afraid of change.
3. She says yes. Leaders take on challenges every day and are not afraid of failure. They would rather make a mistake and learn a lesson from it than spend their life sitting back in their comfort zone.
4. She thinks for herself. In the end, life is about making yourself happy. Leaders recognize this and pursue goals that provide them with the most joy.
5. She finds value in others. Although she lives life for herself, she recognizes that success comes from connection and from value placed in other people. She does not forget the people from her past that helped her to where she is today, and she gives advice to other women who may be just starting out with their careers.
These are just a few characteristics of female leaders. Overall, a woman is a leader because she knows what she wants out of life and is devoted to getting it.
Don't forget to check out the Developing Your Leadership Style course on www.WeHelpWomen.com for more information on what make women great leaders and tips to improve your leadership skills.
About the Author:
April Fischer is currently attending Arizona State University. She is majoring in journalism with an emphasis in public relations and hopes to do PR for athletes after she graduates. She is currently a communications & PR intern for Fresh Start Women’s Foundation and is an active member of Alpha Delta Pi sorority. April also has written for a local teen magazine, AZTeen, and has articles published in ASU’s student newspaper, The State Press.